What can help you be efficient when gamifying learning?

Hey everyone! This week we are talking about gamifying learning and and we’d love to hear what helps you be efficient about it! Share your favorite tools and strategies below!

2 Likes

Definitely having and keeping students motivation. Create different badges and let the students collect them :wink:

5 Likes

Not trying to do too much too soon with too many students! Work out what you want to do, run a beta version with one class and refine the process before a full roll-out.

5 Likes

@michael.lutz I love the point you make about having student motivation to begin with. I think it’s super important to first find things that students are drawn to and engage with upfront rather than spending too much time trying to convince them of that.

4 Likes

Great tip! I hadn’t thought of applying the roll-out strategy in this case, but it makes a ton of sense. This seems like a huge timesaver when refining the guidelines for whatever you are introducing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As @kallgood stated, having a “beta”-tester class could even get the students even more interested. The beta-test class feels unique, and the other classes get interested in what the betas are doing.

3 Likes

I didn’t think about that. Good point!

3 Likes

Hi,

Last year I surrendered myself to the power of badges and leaderboards as gamification tools. I think in the beginning it is important to start with a solution where it is easy to win XP, badges, … and slowly increase the difficulty to gain special or exclusive badges that can give “superpowers” (know one of the questions that will be part of the next test , for example). It worked for me.

4 Likes

Remembering to work backwards when using gamification is crucial. Always consider the all-important ‘output’ - in other words, consider what you want the learners to be able to do/know by the end of the gamified lesson. After that’s established, let your imagination loose with fun ways of how to get there!

4 Likes

I think that providing this gradual scale is so important in being efficient about badging. By breaking badges into sensible tiers, you can tell where learners are struggling and think about it in the context of your overall badging structure. As a result, I think this helps you reflect on the way that you structure learning.

1 Like

Yes! It can be easy to lose sight of this when their are so many pieces to the “puzzle”

I guess it’s really important to get to know students and run a needs analysis on what typically engages them and create some alternatives that involve such items together with desired learning outcomes and tools one wants to use. For instance, as an ESL teacher I’ve learnt that different age groups will engage with different tools and different types of games, which in turn will affect how I plan my gamification in the classroom

2 Likes