What features of formative do you teach students to use first?

Happy Friday everyone! I hope you are ready to enjoy the weekend, but first let’s chat about building student’s inventory of formative features.

Thanks to @albertbryant, @jdunn, and @david for leading a great slow chat!

Often times my students don’t come with much exposure to formative, so I spend some back to school time teaching all the great possiblities.

What features of formative do you teach students to use first?
How to do you build student’s inventory of formative features at the beginning of the year?

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

3 Likes

@chase.kirkpatrick I do “Show Your Work” first because I teach middle school language arts virtually. Show Your Work is where we practice using graphic organizers. This is the only way that I can see in real time that the students understand how to use the graphic organizer. I also use Show Your Work for literature response. I have the students draw their reactions to different parts of the literature. For example, today my 7th graders read “The Necklace.” They used Show Your Work to illustrate how the main character felt when she found out the necklace she lost was fake. I like how they can respond in other ways than just writing. Plus I get awesome stick figure pictures!!

4 Likes

Love that we can import great organizers and have the students work directly on them!

2 Likes

Yes! I love to do the SYW questions first too! Showing math equations and work is essential.

3 Likes

I start with the Show Your Work questions and Multiple Choice. Although most students aren’t acclimated with Formative, they are familiar with electronic surveys. I start with something new: SYW and mix it with something old (and autograded): Multiple Choice.

As They become more familiar with Formative as a tool, I implement Multiple Selection, and Numeric Questions. Later I build in some of the categorize and re-order questions because they become more and more used to Formative as they use it.

I guess you could say, I don’t hit them all at once, I phase them in.

4 Likes

Well said and my thoughts too! I teach 2nd grade, so far this year we have really been hitting being able to complete multiple choice!

4 Likes

I am in the SYW camp, too, especially since this is my favorite Formative tool. Getting stduents to realize that they can change colors and line width, and that they do not need to try to write using the mouse is always fun.
After that I show the difference between multiple choice and multiple selection. Though I often use MS instead of MC even though there may be only one answer, I tell them that this is to make sure that they are confident in their answers. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s a cool idea! Do you have students that often make more than one selection when they may just need one?

3 Likes

I am excited about the prospect of using this feature. Real time plus visual interpretation for graphic organizers is what I am thinking about…

It seems to me like all math teachers would be running to this feature.

Giving students time to acclimate is important. I have a tendency to push my students into learning a lot. Perhaps I overwhelm them sometimes …

Helping build confidence is important for my students. They struggle to believe in their choices.

4 Likes

Oh yes! Great opportunity for me to see where the weak points in my instruction lie and to have feedback conversations.

4 Likes

How awesome! I am going to have to give this a try!!!

2 Likes

I love the equation editor in Premium! Is there an infinity symbol though?

2 Likes

Yes there is an infinity symbol on the built-in keyboard AND it accepts latex input too.

2 Likes

infty

2 Likes

The equation is editor is actually available without premium as well :slight_smile: That being said, with premium, you get the benefit of having the advanced Numeric question type which enables your students to use the equation editor and allows for auto-scoring!

2 Likes