What strategies do you use to deliver feedback to students that differ from other feedback or assessment styles you've seen?

Last night, Mark Barnes (Hack Learning founder and veteran classroom teacher) led an amazing #formativechat in anticipation of his upcoming session at #FormativeSummit! I loved this first question and am re-posting it here so we can continue the discussion…

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

By the way, our free, virtual edu conference (#FormativeSummit) is only 10 days away. If you’ve yet to sign up, sign up here. And if you have, make sure to invite all your colleagues. It’s something you’ll want to take part in together!

1 Like

I use the formative to deliver feedback with students as a whole group. I am able to project the question/s that have been missed most to discuss whole group, then present individual concerns in small group or one-to-one using student responses directly in front of us.

2 Likes

Since the comments can stay in the students feed, they (and I) can see how many times I had to give guidance to the correct answer.

2 Likes

Using a mixture of mini-white boards and @ goformative to provide effective and quick feedback and to use student learning attempt is a unique # formative # assessment strategy I have used # formativechat

1 Like

That’s awesome, Sarah :slight_smile: I love how you are using the live responses you gather on different levels (with the whole group, small groups, and individual students)!

1 Like

Oh, awesome! I had never thought about doing that before :slight_smile: I bet this helps you gauge the effectiveness of feedback and figure out what works for specific students over time!

1 Like

I like offering individual comments on graded assignments, but I have found that students often do not read them unless it is written on a paper rubric.

2 Likes

Interesting! How do you use each of them and how do you use them together? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s great that you are finding what works for your students. Why do you think they read feedback more often if they are on a rubric?

I use each to provide students a safe place to do formative assessment. I find the mini-white boards work well to easily have a discussion and point things out one on one and the show your work to compare learning attempts and see work that I might not have gotten too but can go back see and provide feedback. Try to give choice to have students show their work. Some comfortable with space in Formative and some like mini- white boards to take a picture and upload.

2 Likes

The answers are on paper, and students are more likely to check something written in front of them than something typed on a screen.

1 Like

Thanks for the details :slight_smile: It’s interesting to hear how both have different benefits in terms of giving feedback to students. It’s also great to hear that you give students choices in how they share their learning!

1 Like