What strategies do you use to give students a voice in the feedback process?

Hey there @goformative educators and fellow feedback team @msashlylcot @kallgood ! It looks like I am a bit behind today but wanted to share this question to round off the #FormativeFeedbackWeek Q: “What strategies do you use to give students a voice in the feedback process?” #formativechat

5 Likes

Before I give oral feedback, I normally ask my student: “In your opinion, what went well/was excited/did you like best?” or “If I would ask your classmates: what did they learn from your presentation? What was the highlight?” etc. Then I ask about one point that could be worked on and why. After that - if necessary - I’m going to add one or two points myself. At the end I ask my student on which point(s) he/she wants to focus (and write that down). In the next feedback session I’m going to catch up with the “focused task”: Do you remember your “focus on” question? Tell me about it. :grinning:

4 Likes

I like using tools like Flipgrid, or even time in class specifically to reflect/respond to feedback.

I’m also mean and ask them in front of their parents at our Parent/Student/Teacher conferences what they would say to their parents if they were me.

4 Likes

Like @kallgood I also use Flipgrid for learners to voice their opinions on the relevant subject area and how they perceive their performances.

A great question to ask learners following a feedback session is, ‘If you took this formative assessment again, what would you do differently in how you approach the questions?’

This opens up interesting avenues of thought and how to effectively answer particular types of question. It also gives them greater insight into what the educator/assessor is looking for.

5 Likes

I’ve just registered for Recap. It looks very promising. Next week I’m going to try it out with my students. Does anyone have experience with this tool?

3 Likes

@michael.lutz - let me know how that works, mate, would love to try that out with my kids after camp!

2 Likes

@michael.lutz, Recap makes my students nervous; they don’t like recording themselves. We tried it a few times last year, but they begged not to use it. I’ll be curious to hear if your students have a similar reaction and, if so, how you work with it. Recap seems like a great tool–I would love to use it.

Claire

3 Likes

@clairesedoyle Thank you for that input, Claire. I’ll start then with just using written text feedback.

3 Likes

As @michael.lutz @apeters illustrated, I think it’s important to ask students questions during the feedback process and treat it as a discussion. When asking students to reflect on their own learning, I think it’s important that we ask students to reflect on the steps they took that led to their solution (former math teacher here) so they’ll recognize both correct things they did as well as areas for improvement. I find that this helps them feel more comfortable in discussing their learning with me and growing from there.

4 Likes

@apeters Hi Ant, Recap is great. I started a new topic: Recording students' voice

2 Likes

I use flipgrid as well with my students for many different activities. I will ask students to reflect on feedback/assessments, and I will also give teasers way before we start something by asking “What do you wonder?” or “What do you notice?”

1 Like

I saw a post somewhere recently that showed ‘masks’ that kids could hold up while they recorded themselves. It was pretty much a ‘face’ on a paint stirring stick or on a ruler… eye and mouth holes cut out. I thought it was a great way to help those shy kids who don’t like to be recorded. Another option would be to have funny sunglasses, scarves, and other props to help ‘hide’ the shy kid.

1 Like

I also use FlipGrid to help with student voice in their feedback process, but our district is 1:1 iPad, so students are provided many opportunities to have choice of their voice. Flipgrid words great, but we also have the accessibility features, where students can record their voice for a typed response, or students can create a free-range video. I like the flip-grip option and the others that my students are able to use, many of the students have their particular choice and are free to use it as they need.

1 Like

I like how you provide the students those specific questions to think about as they reflect on their assessment. I think this is something that I would like to use after my students work through formatives and hope that discussing these pieces then connects to expressing their thoughts more clearly with other activities.

1 Like