What type of assignmenments are more conducive to standards-based learning? (Standards based learning)

@informed_members @Certified_Educators
@Darcey_teasdale, @d.vendramin, and I are continuing our conversation about standards-based learning.

Not all assignments are created equal and not all students learn the same way. If the goal is to ensure that all students are acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary for success, I wonder what type of assignments are more conducive to standards-based learning?

formative1

2 Likes

I think that the Depth of Knowledge Levels can be a powerful tool to use when planning assignments for students. You can look at the standard(s) being assessed and use the DOK levels to plan backwards based on student readiness. For example, let’s take the following standard and look at the DOK levels:

“Use ratio and rate reasoning to solve real-world and mathematical problems, e.g., by reasoning about tables of equivalent ratios, tape diagrams, double number line diagrams, or equations.”

We can start with DOK level 1 and think about the specific things that students need to be able to recall/reproduce in relation to this standard (Ex: a ratio says how much of one thing there is compared to another thing). From there, you can create appropriate questions/tasks/challenges that align with the DOK levels. If you scaffold your assignment, providing a range of questions/prompts that hit different levels, you can later determine which levels students are able to reach and which ones they still need to work towards. I think DOK-aligned assignments are conducive to standards-based learning because they can help you figure out how to fully assess the standard(s) and differentiate based on student progress.

My response here is largely inspired by what @ray.killian wrote :slight_smile:

1 Like