What types of formatives promote the four C's (critical thinking, communication, collaboration, creativity & innovation)?

Hey everyone!

Yesterday, Formative Certified Educator ,@mlschnick , led an awesome #formativechat on Twitter and once again, we thought it would be great to continue the conversation in our community! This time, we’d love to hear what types of formatives (a.k.a formative assessments) you use to promote the four C’s!

41%20AM

@Certified_Educators @informed_members @new_members

8 Likes

Recently, I built a formative that focused on email writing. (I have a few friends who are managers in the business world and one of their biggest pet peeves are coworkers who cannot write a good email).

I uploaded a pdf of a sample email. Students identified the different parts of an email, why they are beneficial/necessary (Subject line, Mr./Mrs, spelling names correctly etc.).

They also built their own practice email piece by piece. (For example, asking a teacher for help on absent work/a low grade, asking our Executive Director for help logging into our grading system, asking for help with a tech issue, etc.). After they got feedback on it, many ended up sending it.

I’m curious if anyone has any ideas on how to focus on collaboration skills, beyond just having students doing a problem together or checking their work?
Or if anyone has used it to develop some cool projects?

7 Likes

Using @goformative with ideas such as #threeactmathplays #digitalbreakouts and #studentvoice are great also work well when smashed with other tools such as @flipgrid

3 Likes

I have been using formative to do 3 Act Tasks from Dan Meyer’s website. My kids love them and it really gets them engaged before we start a lesson. 3 Acts

3 Likes

That’s awesome, Darcey. This is such a great skill to be teaching students. It’s great to hear that you taught them the “mechanics” of an email. I remember I learned what a “bcc:” is way later than I would have liked :laughing:! I also think that teaching them this skill is a great way to help them learn how to communicate and I love how you give them the opportunity to send an email to request help that they actually need! Brilliant!

Formative Certified Educators @apeters and @fichtlis collaborated for a “Global Fusion Poetry” Project where they selected poems that represented aspects of their country’s culture (South Africa and the US respectively), added them to formatives (within a Hyperdoc), and had each other’s students take them. Through this experience the students learned about each other’s cultures as well as common methods for poetry analysis. They later had their students create their own poems about their respective cultures, added them to Flipgrid, and once again had their students compare. I definitely encourage you to check out the site they made to describe their project! If you are interested in doing something similar, let us know and we’d love to help!

On another note, here’s a great graphic organizer that Lauren Porosoff shared in our #formativechat on Monday. I could see this being used as either a warm up or reflection for a group activity. You could adapt it to Formative and talk about the responses with your students:

click on it to see a bigger version

I’d love to hear other ways that @Certified_Educators & @informed_members have been encouraging collaboration in their classroom too!

4 Likes

@d.vendramin @mlschnick I love three-act math plays. I think they are a really great way to drive student inquiry and engagement. One of my favorite is Dan Meyer’s “Nana’s Chocolate Milk” task because it allows for multiple solutions and thus promotes creativity & innovation.I wrote about it here.

I’ve started to wonder if something similar could be done for ELA or Social Studies where students start with an opened mystery/scenario, pose their own questions, and allowed to solve it by being given additional info as scaffolding. @ELA_Educators & @SSHistory_Educators , I’d love to hear what you’ve found.

3 Likes

I did a Digital Breakout via Google Sites that got students thinking at the beginning of the year…

7 Likes

Flipgrid, Quizizz, Today’s Meet, Kahoot, Google Forms, Google Docs and Slides that are shared, Hyperdocs, and Project-based learning.

5 Likes

I’d love to see an example of this. I’ve done a couple of 3Act Tasks and really like them.

1 Like