Why would you want to flip your classroom? What advantages are there?

What an awesome resource to share @clsnyder-renfro!

2 Likes

Love #4 - I think it is so important to start preparing our student to take ownership in their work and create study habits early!

I didn’t learn until college that I didn’t really know how to study or when to look back over work/reread sections. I had to learn the hard way :slight_smile:

1 Like

The most valuable aspect of flipped classrooms are the rich discussions you have in class. Students also have a chance to bounce ideas and new thoughts about a subject or lesson also. Having prior knowledge and practice makes learning more engaging. Teachers are able to add more rigor to the lessons with the confidence that students will gain from it.

3 Likes

In a flipped classroom students have ownership of their learning, the teacher has time to work with students in smaller groups because the others are working. I am part of a PBL cohort and students need to be in charge of their learning in our environment for it to work. I have not used Edpuzzle yet but saw some posts about it over the summer and hope to use it this coming year.

2 Likes

What a great way to think about this!

1 Like

We are big into PBL at my school as well. This really lends itself to giving my students the support they need, but also ownership and accountability with their work.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the flipped classroom model in my classroom as a strategy in my classroom for a few years now. I continue to get better at implementing it and student buy in is increasing. Having access to 1:1 devices have helped quite a bit and the tools I have used have been more effective as well. I find that I can streamline my lessons (use time more efficiently), have students ask more questions during class time, motivate students at different levels (have students move on or help students that need extra help), build relationships, and really become more of the guide on the side rather than sage on the stage. Here’s a great article from the University of Texas that also explains the benefits of flipping https://facultyinnovate.utexas.edu/flipped-classroom. There is also a good course on flipping in the microsoft learning community https://education.microsoft.com/courses-and-resources/courses/flipped-instruction-with-powerpoint-recorder

3 Likes

Great resources! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Here’s a flipped certification course put on by edpuzzle https://go.edpuzzle.com/flipped.html they have many other online pd sessions available https://go.edpuzzle.com/OnlinePD/

3 Likes

I have always wanted to flip my math classroom. I feel there are more and more tools available that will allow me to eventually get there.

I would love to allow students to watch videos or work through a formative assignment at home. This way we could have more math discussions in class.

My main struggle is students not having internet access at home. Yes, most have smart phones but many have limited data.

Google Classroom is a great way to implement a Flipped Classroom.

2 Likes

I also learned in recent PD that the Chromebooks our school just adopted (Lenovo 300e) actually ‘store’ all the Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc that a student has accessed within the last 72 hours. Students can edit and complete assignments without internet… and then the Chromebooks sync once they connect to wifi.

3 Likes

When I first met the flipped approach, I had to redesign the way mathematics is taught in my school. With this pedagogical model, I plan the learning activities outside the classroom: presentations (with genially, nearpod or peardeck); videos (using screncast-o-matic or screncastify as screen capturers, edpuzzle and flippgrid as interaction tools with the student); online assessments (using g-form, socrative, kahoot, quizzis, formative and plickers). I share all these activities in virtual platforms such as Edmodo, Google classroom and the sieweb of my school.
A fundamental tool that I use with this proposal is the symbaloo lesson plans, which allow us to systematize all the planned activities, before the face-to-face learning sessions. In this way, I use the time of the class sessions (both in the classroom and in the technological information center of my school), to facilitate and strengthen other processes of acquisition and practice of knowledge and mathematical skills; thus each student builds his own learning and PLE. Visit https://luisdavila1302.wixsite.com/proyectopleapp

3 Likes

Flipping allows you to skip a lot of fluff in the classroom and jump into using the information learned by students in your home lessons/videos. It’s a similar idea to sending home a short story for the students to read before coming to school the next day to discuss it. It saves time and allows you to spend quality time on learning standards you -really- need to cover.

4 Likes

Wow, what a cool feature!

1 Like

In addition to @chudgens idea of printing out short stories at home for students read on their own, you might want to explore an in-class flip. I just learned about it from @Dawn_Frier1:

4 Likes

There is actually a way to turn on offline access for all Google “Office” documents. That way kids can work without internet at home and sync anything when they get back to school

1 Like

It’s my understanding that if students have the apps, that they can work offline on anything they’ve opened in the last 72 hours.

2 Likes