Working with rubrics

Hi all,

I was so excited to see the option of using rubrics this year. I made my first one last week and attached it to a quiz question.

This week I want to resuse the same rubric I already made. I assumed I would be able to, because I was able to name the rubric I made, so that made me think I was building a rubric library for myself.

Now, though, when I try add a rubric to a new assignment, the only option is to build one again from scratch.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to reuse rubrics?

Diane

3 Likes

I haven’t tried out the rubrics yet. I’m commenting so I can follow this thread. :slight_smile: Hope you get an answer to your question. In the meantime, if you make a copy of the old quiz, can you edit the question(s)?

Oooo, great workaround. That’s what I’d do! It didn’t occur to me just make a copy of the old quiz with the rubric in it!

I was also intrigued by the rubric option, but there are some serious shortcomings so far (unless I am missing something.)

1. Only certain question types can have rubrics attached to them. Open response, show your work, audio response (I didn’t test them all). I had some short answer questions (which are still open ended) that I wanted to attach rubrics to, but I don’t see the option to do so.

2. Why attach rubrics to specific questions? It would be nice for one single rubric for the entire assignment. I find myself wanting to apply one or two criteria of a larger, more comprehensive rubric to each question. If there were a way to have one overarching rubric for the assignment that you could then tie specific questions to specific criteria, that would be amazing.

3. As a previous poster noted, the fact that the rubrics are not saved in a library is surprising. It takes a long time to input a rubric, and I’d love to be able to pull from ones already created on new assignments. Even better would be the ability to cherry pick specific criteria from pre-made rubrics that fit with a specific questions (see my point for #2).

4. The more I think about it, I see the ideal scenario one where you don’t have a bank of rubrics, per se, but a bank of rubric criteria. You could then mix and match these criteria as the need suits either holistically for an entire assignment or piecemeal for a specific question on an assignment.

4 Likes

I love all of these ideas!!!

Diane,

Thank you for commenting about rubrics! I didn’t know you could create/include them in Formative! Would you mind sharing an example of one you created with me?

Thanks!

Laura

I am also interested in being able to reuse rubrics for multiple questions.

1 Like

Hi Laura,

Here’s a sample with a rubric I made:

Diane

Problem with rubrics - when you force submissions, it will not grade at zero for a question with a rubric, forcing submissions and manually adding scores makes using them unattractive. Any fixes?

1 Like

Hello- is there a way to reuse rubrics on free responses?

I’m not sure if you got an answer yet, but a workaround is to copy the Formative that has the rubric you want and edit it. MAYBE you can copy the question with the rubric from your Library to the new Formative. Does the rubric transfer as well?

Commenting to follow this thread! Thanks for all the info :slight_smile: